COVID 19 - Infection Prevention Tips for Cleaning Professionals
By Wm R. Griffin
Copyright © 2019/2020 Wm R. Griffin, Sea. WA. 98198
- Put gloves on (donning) before you start work and take them off (doffing) when you stop work. Use fresh gloves each time you remove them (if disposables are used).
- Wash your hands frequently and apply sanitizer before and after going to the restroom, eating or taking off your gloves or mask. Wear goggles when mixing chemicals or if there is mist or dust in the air.
- Keep soiled hands away from your eyes, nose, mouth, face and body.
- Wear a face mask (particulate respirator N95%) at all times when working and when traveling in congested public spaces. (bus, plane, train, etc.)
- Do not go to work if you are sick (cough, cold, flu, temperature, shortness of breath, runny nose, open wounds). Those reporting to work when sick should be sent home and referred to their personal physician.
- Use disinfectant solution or wipes to regularly clean all high-touch surfaces such as light switches, elevator buttons, hand rails, drinking fountains, phones, door push plates and handles, counters, desks, keyboards, etc. Do the same at home, when you travel or use public facilities.
- Use vacuum cleaners, auto-scrubbers and carpet extractors that provide HEPA filtration.
- No handshakes or hugging (for now), Arm/Elbow bumping is in. Use phones & email to reduce personal contact and use your own phone, computer and stapler, etc. Disinfect frequently.
- Keep your distance from others 4-6 ft is best. (cough and sneeze zone)
- Don’t be scared, be proactive by reducing risks & taking steps that help prevent cross infection. Be aware of your surroundings and take action to protect yourself, your family and the public.
- For high levels of cleaning and disinfection consider use of an electrostatic spray system for chemical application.
- Do not use brooms or dust mops for dry soil removal.
- Do not return soiled wet mops or cleaning cloths to same bucket or container.
- Replace cleaning solution, mops, cloths regularly (when they become cloudy, visibly soiled or per policy) to prevent loss of effectiveness and contamination. Some areas require single use only. Mix chemicals per label instructions and allow specified dwell time (up to 7-10 Min.).
- Employers/businesses may wish to provide sanitizing wipes for employee keyboards, and desktops, etc. and tissue for employees to catch sneezes, etc.
This is important: Lives depend on it & it’s the right thing to do. Keep it Clean and Safe Out There.
Note: The above tips may change as additional scientific and technical information becomes available.